Happy New Year! We hope you all had a relaxing vacation and feel rejuvenated for the start of 2017.
The new year is an ideal time to set new goals. Why not take this opportunity to help your child set a goal. Here are a few hints:
- Brainstorm with your child about what they’d like to become, change, or improve upon. Sharing your own goals and action plans is a good way to get them thinking.
- Make sure the goal is achievable. For example, saying that you will earn 100% on all tests this year is not a realistic goal. However, doing your homework 90% of the time is actually doable. Set yourself up for success!
- Write down your goal and make it measurable. The easiest way to accomplish this is to give your goal a number. This way, you are holding yourself accountable and it is clear that you met the goal (or not)! Making a chart or a poster is a great way to keep track.
- Tell you family, friends, and teachers about your goal. These people can be a great resource in helping you reach your goal. They can brainstorm with you and help you identify how you will reach your goal.
- Celebrate your success along the way. Setting long term goals can be discouraging. Set check points along the way and give yourself a pat on the back. Baby steps is the key to long term change.
Please comment and share with us: What are your goals for 2017?